Seven Must-Read Stories (Week Ending July 16, 2016)
Another chance to catch the most interesting, and important, articles from the previous week on MIT Technology Review.
- China’s Massive Effort to Purify Seawater Is Drying Up
Stalled projects and underperforming plants have hampered China’s desalination plans.
- Pokémon Go’s Breakout Success Has Implications for the Real World, Too
Nintendo’s mega-popular new game shows that augmented reality may yet trump virtual reality.
- Tesla’s Strategy Is Risky and Aggressive, but It Has Worked
Elon Musk has made a bold bet that the car industry can move faster than anybody believed possible.
- How Amazon Loses on Prime and Still Wins
Expect Prime Day to be even bigger this year.
- Tougher Turing Test Exposes Chatbots’ Stupidity
We have a long way to go if we want virtual assistants to understand us.
- Inside Facebook’s Artificial Intelligence Engine Room
These are the new computers Facebook created to accelerate its machine learning research.
- Find Out Which Appliance Is Sucking All Your Power
Sense’s $299 gadget identifies individual devices in the home and exactly how much electricity they are using.