- 10 Breakthrough Technologies 2016
Which of today's emerging technologies have a chance at solving a big problem and opening up new opportunities? Here are our picks. The 10 on this list all had an impressive milestone in the past year or are on the verge of one. These are technologies you need to know about right now.
- Facebook’s New Map of World Population Could Help Get Billions Online
Software that scours satellite images for signs of human habitation could build the most accurate map of the world’s population yet.
- How Probiotics Could Help Reverse the Devastation of Childhood Malnutrition
New research suggests that the gut microbiome plays an important role in childhood malnutrition and might be a pathway to new therapies.
- Bring Your Feet into Virtual Reality
Tactonic is making pressure-sensing mats that can tell how you move your toes, which could make for more immersive VR exploration.
- “But I Was Only Joking!” Why Facebook Needs an Irony Emoji
The social network’s new Reactions omit the most necessary of signs.
- The Latest Boston Dynamics Creation Escapes the Lab, Roams the Snowy Woods
In an amazing video, the newest generation of the humanoid Atlas walks on uneven terrain, squats to pick up boxes, and puts up with abuse from its human creators.
- As Apple Works on “Uncrackable” Phones, Senators Seek a Workaround Everyone Can Agree On
U.S. Senators have proposed a commission to help end Apple's fight with the FBI and devise rules for accessing encrypted devices. <