Vice President, Sales
Over the past few years, leadership at MIT Technology Review has focused on building us into the world’s most authoritative, influential, and trusted technology media platform. We have a new editor in chief who has relaunched our brand, we have expanded our newsletter strategy and invested more in our successful events business, and we have redesigned our print magazine.
On our website, www.technologyreview.com, traffic is achieving all-time highs. Our journalists are publishing work that is both high-impact and leading-edge.
Why is MIT Technology Review “having a moment” now?
The technologies we have been reporting on for years – like AI, blockchain, cybersecurity, quantum computing – are today the topics of dinner-table conversation and boardroom debate. We are covering areas that many large media companies are still trying to understand.
And at a time when the media industry is challenged by the dominance of tech giants like Facebook and Google, we are leaning in to our brand, its reputation and authority, and all that that communicates about the quality and exclusivity of our audience.
For brands that want to reach our audience, we are building multi-platform, custom programs. These programs include digital and print ads but are increasingly oriented around event and “experience” sponsorships as well as research-based thought leadership.
We are now looking for an experienced leader to direct our sales team.
If this is you, you will be a coach to a team of salespeople building close and trusted relationships with advertisers (both directly and through agencies).
You will be a motivational leader, someone whom people want to follow. You realize that inspiring people to succeed is achieved through optimism, enthusiasm, and candor – not acting like a jerk.
You will be a creative thinker who can turn a client’s need into an exciting idea that will sell and delight.
You will be a visionary, understanding how media is evolving – and leading your team to sell into that evolution.
You will be relentless about achieving targets, resulting in revenue and market share growth for MIT Technology Review.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions**):
- Drive and grow MIT Technology Review’s revenue from existing and new client partners
- Lead and motivate team of five dedicated salespersons and one support professional to achieve their sales targets and build lasting and commercially successful client partnerships
- Lead and coach team to develop creative, solutions-oriented programs and proposals that build upon MIT Technology Review’s unique sources of competitive advantage in the media marketplace and address and bring value to clients’ business challenges
- Gather competitive knowledge and develop ways to sell effectively against competitors
- Support and contribute to ongoing development of MIT Technology Review’s advertising strategy as integrated with the company’s overall business strategy
- In collaboration with colleagues and the CEO & Publisher, oversee and manage all vital functions of sales management, including territory planning, quota setting, pricing, reporting, and sales compensation design and administration
- As a member of the MIT Technology Review leadership team, support profitable growth of MIT TR; preserve and uphold MIT TR’s mission, vision, and values; support, challenge, and inspire colleagues
This role reports directly to the CEO & Publisher of MIT Tech Review.
This position will have direct reports of at least 6 FTEs.
Qualifications & Skills:
- Strong leadership and management experience, including coaching team members to achieve their best
- Experience in digital advertising sales, with a proven record of exceeding revenue goals
- Well-honed, proven, consultative selling skills
- Strong stakeholder management skills, especially working across functions
- Established relationships with technology companies and agencies that support the presentation of integrated advertising opportunities
- Ability to foster a solid team dynamic
- An entrepreneurial and creative approach to business
- Excellent communication skills
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in advertising sales, with particular strength in custom/native advertising, especially digital, and event and “experience” sponsorships