Full Stack Developer
The Full Stack Developer within MIT Technology Review, an independent media company owned by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, is a part of a multi-disciplinary product development team responsible for building and maintaining Technology Review’s digital products.
You will help us maintain and modify our current infrastructure and codebase while also joining the migration project in progress. Once the migration is complete, you will play a key role in building a range of internal- and external-facing tools that will extend the editorial team’s digital story-telling capabilities, equip the marketing and sales teams to engage with customers, and delight Technology Review’s readers and event attendees.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions**):
- Write clean, well-documented code to support MIT Technology Review’s existing CMS and back end platform.
- Provide expertise, advice, and development for the company’s future WordPress-based back end.
- Assist in the administration and monitoring of the company’s databases and cloud-based server infrastructure
- Create performant front end implementations of provided designs and help evolve front end tooling
- Collaborate with colleagues on the development of new features and integration of third-party tools
- Test, diagnose and troubleshoot website issues
- Communicate with team members to execute projects successfully and on time
Supervision Received: Reports to the Director of Software Engineering
Qualifications & Skills:
- Professional experience developing custom solutions for WordPress is required.
- Comfort at the Unix command line
- Experience with using and integrating 3rd-party APIs.
- Familiar with Git/GitHub and able to carry out typical operations with it, including branching, merging, submitting code for peer review and reviewing your peer’s code yourself.
- Disciplined about meeting delivery dates while writing good and readable code.
- A positive attitude about documentation, tickets, and issue tracking.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, and the ability to wield them effectively when communicating with colleagues at all levels of seniority.
- A minimum of 5 years of professional web development experience building responsive websites and custom applications.
- College degree or equivalent work experience.
- Experience with Drupal is a plus, but not required.
Please submit your resume along with a cover letter that includes links to at least three separate code samples. For each code sample, please describe what you wrote and why, why you’re proud of it, and how it reflects your experience and abilities. At least one of your code samples must demonstrate PHP knowledge.
** To comply with regulations by the American with Disabilities Act (ADA), the principal duties in job descriptions must be essential to the job. To identify essential functions, focus on the purpose and the result of the duties rather than the manner in which they are performed. The following definition applies: a job function is essential if removal of that function would fundamentally change the job.Apply