Seven Must-Read Stories (Week Ending June 25, 2016)
Another chance to catch the most interesting, and important, articles from the previous week on MIT Technology Review.
- Dear Silicon Valley: Forget Flying Cars, Give Us Economic Growth
Companies taking advantage of amazing new digital technologies dominate our list of 50 Smartest Companies. But despite impressive advances in artificial intelligence and automation, the economy remains in a troubling slowdown.
- 50 Smartest Companies 2016
Our editors pick the 50 companies that best combine innovative technology with an effective business model.
- Apple Opens Up iPhone Code in What Could Be Savvy Strategy or Security Screwup
A preview of Apple’s next mobile operating system upgrade revealed some of the system's inner workings for the first time and suggests that the company wants help finding security flaws.
- As It Searches for Suspects, the FBI May Be Looking at You
Questions about accuracy and transparency plague the bureau’s five-year-old face matching system.
- Money Behind First CRISPR Test? It’s from Internet Billionaire Sean Parker
A next wave of cancer treatments may combine immunotherapy and gene editing.
- Google Gets Practical about the Dangers of AI
The company lays out five unsolved challenges that need to be addressed if smart machines such as domestic robots are to be safe.
- Elon Musk’s Bonkers Plan to Join Tesla and SolarCity
The eccentric entrepreneur wants his unprofitable electric-car maker to buy his loss-making solar developer.