A View from MIT Technology Review
Seven Must-Read Stories (Week Ending April 4, 2015)
Another chance to catch the most interesting, and important, articles from the previous week on MIT Technology Review.
- Toolkits for the Mind
Programming languages shape the way their users think—which helps explain how tech startups work and why they are able to reinvent themselves.
- Adding Greater Realism to Virtual Worlds
A startup is borrowing techniques used in high-frequency trading to make simulated worlds more realistic.
- Broadcast Every Little Drama
Meerkat and Periscope show how simple, fun, and weird live-streaming can be.
- The Problem with Fake Meat
It might be possible to create a burger that helps the environment and improves your health. But will it taste good enough to win over the masses?
- Probing the Whole Internet for Weak Spots
Rapidly scanning the Internet has become vital to efforts to keep it secure.
- Ripple, a Cryptocurrency Company, Wants to Rewire Bank Authentication
A digital-currency company thinks it can protect the personal information used to perform identity checks in the financial industry.
- Facebook Lets Developers Build on Its Chat App
Facebook hopes that adding functionality like video sharing and shopping to Messenger will help it grow even as competition rises.