A View from MIT Technology Review
Seven Must-Read Stories (Week Ending November 1, 2014)
Another chance to catch the most interesting, and important, articles from the previous week on MIT Technology Review.
- Alert! Websites Will Soon Start Pushing App-Style Notifications
A new feature of most browsers will let them issue alerts through a PC or mobile operating system.
- Your Retirement May Include a Robot Helper
As industrial robots become more capable, they could start helping out around the home.
- A Credit Card Terminal That Takes Apps
A former head of Google Wallet rolls out a “smart” terminal for all kinds of payments.
- Will a Breakthrough Solar Technology See the Light of Day?
A startup that might have a record-breaking solar cell is in danger of going out of business.
- Materials Trick Might Help Move Computers Beyond Silicon
Ferroelectric materials could take computing beyond digital logic.
- Google’s Secretive DeepMind Startup Unveils a “Neural Turing Machine”
DeepMind has built a neural network that can access an external memory like a conventional Turing machine. The result is a computer that mimics the short-term memory of the human brain.
- Computers Could Talk Themselves into Giving Up Secrets
Malware might use a voice synthesizer to bypass some security controllers, researchers say.