A View from MIT Technology Review
Seven Must-Read Stories (Week Ending June 7, 2014)
Another chance to catch the most interesting, and important, articles from the previous week on MIT Technology Review.
- The Robots Running This Way
Some of the machines acquired recently by Google represent a giant leap forward for robot-kind.
- Apple Seeks a Swift Way to Lure More Developers
A simpler programming language from Apple could broaden the pool of apps and help make them more interactive.
- Microsoft’s “3-D Audio” Gives Virtual Objects a Voice
Headphones that make sounds seem to come from specific points in space could be the perfect counterpoint to virtual-reality goggles.
- A Cleaner, Cheaper Way to Make Metals
A startup called Infinium promises to reduce a troubling source of carbon emissions.
- Imposing Security
Computer programmers won’t stop making dangerous errors on their own. It’s time they adopted an idea that makes the physical world safer.
- How Google Could Disrupt Global Internet Delivery by Satellite
Reported plans to launch 180 satellites could provide significant competition in the developing world and rural areas.
- Data Mining Reveals the Factors Driving the Price of Bitcoins
Two years ago a single bitcoin was worth around $5. Today it is worth around $600. Now one economist has worked out exactly what forces are behind this dramatic increase.