- The Step Needed to Make Virtual Reality More Real
If virtual reality is going to be truly immersive, holding a game controller could be distracting. Companies will instead try to let you control the action with your eyes, head, or fingers.
- New Collar Promises to Keep Athletes' Brains from "Sloshing" During Impact
Researchers have begun human clinical trials for a device, inspired by woodpeckers, that's meant to keep the brain from moving around so much inside the skull when it gets hit.
- This $40,000 Robotic Exoskeleton Lets the Paralyzed WalkStill pricier than motorized wheelchairs, SuitX's Phoenix exoskeleton weighs just 27 pounds and is custom-fit to the user's body.
- Government Seeks High-Fidelity "Brain-Computer" Interface
A challenge by DARPA asks scientists to develop ways to record from a million neurons at a time.
- In New Anti-Aging Strategy, Clearing Out Old Cells Increases Life Span of Mice by 25 Percent
As we get older, some of our cells stop dividing. Are these derelicts a reason we age?
- Will AI-Powered Hedge Funds Outsmart the Market?
Some hedge funds boast that AI algorithms make their trading decisionsu2014but these systems might be more conventional than they seem.
- NSA Says It "Must Act Now" Against the Quantum Computing Threat
The National Security Agency is worried that quantum computers will neutralize our best encryption u2013 but doesn't yet know what to do about that problem. <
The big new idea for making self-driving cars that can go anywhere
The mainstream approach to driverless cars is slow and difficult. These startups think going all-in on AI will get there faster.
Inside Charm Industrial’s big bet on corn stalks for carbon removal
The startup used plant matter and bio-oil to sequester thousands of tons of carbon. The question now is how reliable, scalable, and economical this approach will prove.
The hype around DeepMind’s new AI model misses what’s actually cool about it
Some worry that the chatter about these tools is doing the whole field a disservice.
The dark secret behind those cute AI-generated animal images
Google Brain has revealed its own image-making AI, called Imagen. But don't expect to see anything that isn't wholesome.
Get the latest updates from
MIT Technology Review
Discover special offers, top stories, upcoming events, and more.