- Q&A: Steven Chu
The former energy secretary, who has begun chasing emerging technologies again, looks back on his successes and failures in government.
- Our Fear of Artificial Intelligence
A true AI might ruin the world—but that assumes it’s possible at all.
- A Pancreas in a Capsule
Stem-cell advocates pin their hopes on an artificial pancreas to treat diabetes.
- Experiments Start on a Meltdown-Proof Nuclear Reactor
Transatomic Power has begun tests on a very cheap and compact molten-salt reactor.
- Additive Manufacturing Is Reshaping Aviation
Advanced manufacturing technologies are leading to smaller jet engines.
- Deep Learning Squeezed Onto a Phone
Artificial-intelligence software can make phones better at tracking your workouts and emotions.
- Why We Don’t Have Battery Breakthroughs
A promising advance that came to nothing suggests what it will take to make cheap batteries for electric cars. <