- Black Phosphorus: The Birth of a New Wonder Material
Materials scientists have discovered how to make black phosphorus nanosheets in large amounts, heralding a new era of nanoelectronic devices.
- SpaceX Claims Partial Success with Rocket Crash Landing
Success would redefine the economics of space travel, but SpaceX’s reusable rocket shows that it’s still hard to perform a safe landing.
- Robot Journalist Finds New Work on Wall Street
Software that turns data into written text could help us make sense of a coming tsunami of data.
- Can GM Go from Volt to Bolt?
GM revealed a concept all-electric hatchback today that it claims will have a 200-mile range.
- Low Oil Prices Mean Keystone Pipeline Makes No Sense
New exploration on the bulk of Canada’s oil sands reserves can’t start unless prices are at least $60 per barrel, economists say.
- An Internet of Treacherous Things
A zombie network of home routers highlights the importance of prioritizing smart appliance security.
- Something Lost in Skype Translation
Skype’s real-time translation software highlights remarkable progress in machine learning—but it still struggles with the subtleties of human communication. <