- Rise of the Robot Security Guards
Startup Knightscope is preparing to roll out human-size robot patrols.
- Next-Generation Robot Needs Your Help
A Carnegie Mellon researcher shows that designing robots to ask for human assistance can make them a lot more useful.
- Virtual Reality Aims for the Mobile Phone
A smartphone-based virtual reality headset from Samsung and Oculus VR could make the technology more accessible, but it also demonstrates a new set of challenges
- Device Changes Your Mood with a Zap to the Head
A smartphone-connected device delivers electrical stimulation to nerves in the head.
- The United States Is Far and Away the Leader in Carbon Dioxide Emissions
The effects of atmospheric carbon linger for centuries, so historical emissions totals are relevant context for the global climate policy debate.
- Virgin Galactic Tragedy May Mean New Space Tourism Rules
The investigation into the Virgin Galactic accident has yet to find a cause, but the FAA will consider new regulations for commercial space travel.
- ETH Researchers Develop a Thought-Controlled Genetic Interface
Swiss scientists achieve a remarkable mashup of optogenetics, synthetic biology, and brain control. <