- How Can a Civilian Plane Accidentally Be Shot Down?
It’s not certain whether Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 was brought down because of mistaken identity, but it is plausible.
- Jibo the Family Robot Might Be Oddly Charming, or Just Plain Odd
The “world’s first family robot” is based on efforts to elicit emotional response in humans—a powerful idea, but one fraught with challenges.
- Energy Demands of Networked Devices Skyrocket
As the Internet of things grows to encompass billions of devices, its power usage will require novel technologies for improving efficiency.
- Thermoelectric Material to Hit Market Later This Year
A California-based company is commercializing an abundant, naturally occurring material that can turn waste heat into power.
- Flexible, Printed Batteries for Wearable Devices
Imprint Energy is developing a long-lasting, bendable, and rechargeable battery.
- An Explanation of the Evidence of Weaknesses in the Iron Dome Defense System
- Forget the Wisdom of Crowds; Neurobiologists Reveal the Wisdom of the Confident
The wisdom of crowds breaks down when people are biased. Now researchers have discovered a simple method of removing this bias–just listen to the most confident. <
Toronto wants to kill the smart city forever
The city wants to get right what Sidewalk Labs got so wrong.
Saudi Arabia plans to spend $1 billion a year discovering treatments to slow aging
The oil kingdom fears that its population is aging at an accelerated rate and hopes to test drugs to reverse the problem. First up might be the diabetes drug metformin.
Yann LeCun has a bold new vision for the future of AI
One of the godfathers of deep learning pulls together old ideas to sketch out a fresh path for AI, but raises as many questions as he answers.
The dark secret behind those cute AI-generated animal images
Google Brain has revealed its own image-making AI, called Imagen. But don't expect to see anything that isn't wholesome.
Get the latest updates from
MIT Technology Review
Discover special offers, top stories, upcoming events, and more.