- AI Startup Says It Has Defeated Captchas
Brain-mimicking software can reliably solve a test meant to separate humans from machines.
- Data Shows Google’s Robot Cars Are Smoother, Safer Drivers Than You or I
Tests of Google’s autonomous vehicles in California and Nevada suggests they already outperform human drivers.
- The Clever Circuit That Doubles Bandwidth
A Stanford startup’s new radio can send and receive information on the same frequency—an advance that could double the speed of wireless networks.
- Building Cars Out of Batteries Isn’t as Crazy as It Sounds
Volvo, Tesla, and dozens of researchers are using creative battery designs to make electric vehicles lighter.
- Now Facebook Can See Inside Your Heart, Too
Facebook scientists figure out how to identify your romantic partner or best friend from among your connections.
- With Firefox OS, an $80 Smartphone Tries to Prove Its Worth
Despite limitations, the Firefox OS-running ZTE Open shows promise for low-cost smartphones.
- Automated Manufacturing for 3-D Printers
Drawing on artificial-intelligence capabilities, PARC researchers are developing software meant to help make manufacturing accessible to people without manufacturing expertise. <