Seven Must-Read Stories (Week Ending July 2, 2016)
Another chance to catch the most interesting, and important, articles from the previous week on MIT Technology Review.
- Wind Fuels the North Sea’s Next Energy Boom
As oil declines, huge wind farms are providing electricity to Northern Europe.
- Fatal Tesla Autopilot Crash Is a Reminder Autonomous Cars Will Sometimes Screw Up
A death behind the wheel with Tesla’s Autopilot on raises the question of how safe automated cars must be.
- How EnChroma’s Glasses Correct Color-Blindness
People with red-green color-blindness can suddenly discriminate between colors they couldn’t see before.
- The Rocket Fuel for Biden’s “Cancer Moonshot”? Big Data
The National Cancer Institute hopes a new data-sharing agreement with Foundation Medicine is the first of many.
- Funding of Space Ventures Gets a Lift
Extraterrestrial ventures are no longer limited to deep-pocketed tycoons.
- This App Knows Just the Right Emoji for Any Occasion
Having trouble finding the perfect emoji to express yourself?
- Clinics Offering Unproven Stem Cell Therapies Are Proliferating Across the U.S.
Patients don’t need “stem cell tourism” anymore—ineffective and potentially dangerous interventions abound at home.