Seven Must-Read Stories (Week Ending February 20, 2016)
Another chance to catch the most interesting, and important, articles from the previous week on MIT Technology Review.
- Robot Art Raises Questions about Human Creativity
What is the potential of machine art, and can it truly be described as creative or imaginative?
- The Missing Link of Artificial Intelligence
We don’t know how to make software that learns without explicit instruction—but we need to if dreams of humanlike AI are to come true.
- The Best AI Program Still Flunks an Eighth-Grade Science Test
A contest designed to push the limits of artificial intelligence suggests that truly intelligent machines are a long way off.
- Inside the Mosquito Factory That Could Stop Dengue and Zika
Genetically modified mosquitoes seem to stop the spread of disease—but will Brazil, or anyone else, pay for them?
- Startup Bets Its Magic Touch on Seeds Can Boost Crop Yields
Harnessing microbes to increase crop production could lessen the need for pesticides and fertilizer.
- Apple Vows to Fight the Feds in the Battle over Encryption
Apple CEO Tim Cook has said his company will fight a court order to unlock the iPhone 5c owned by one of the San Bernardino shooters.
- EmTech Digital Preview: Imagining Tomorrow’s Intelligent Systems
Join us in San Francisco this May as we explore how artificial intelligence is changing business and redefining the way we work.