A View from MIT TR Editors
Seven Must-Read Stories (Week ending December 20, 2015)
Another chance to catch the most interesting and important articles from the previous week on MIT Technology Review.
- Can This Man Make AI More Human?
One cognitive scientist thinks the leading approach to machine learning can be improved by ideas gleaned from studying children.
- Inside the First VR Theme Park
A new form of weekend entertainment combines virtual reality with a clever stage set. For now, you’ll have to visit suburban Utah to check it out.
- Socks Generate Electricity Using Microbes Fed by Urine
Yes, you read that right.
- Are Young Athletes Risking Brain Damage?
Sports leagues should do more to protect children from the long-term problems that stem from hits to the head.
- User Error Compromises Many Encrypted Communication Apps
Apps that aim to let you talk securely may be made less secure by users who screw up the authentication process.
- A Change of Mind
Diana Bianchi championed tests that find Down syndrome early in pregnancy. Now can she find a way to treat it?
- Paris Climate Agreement Rests on Shaky Technological Foundations
The effort to limit global climate change relies on technologies that are unproven or even illusory.