A View from MIT Technology Review
Seven Must-Read Stories (Week Ending January 31, 2015)
Another chance to catch the most interesting, and important, articles from the previous week on MIT Technology Review.
- The Purpose of Silicon Valley
Capital and engineering talent have been flocking to seemingly trivial mobile apps. But would we really be better off if more startups instead went directly after big problems?
- Why the Time Seems Right for a Space-Based Internet Service
New micro-satellite technology is enabling satellite Internet services that could reach billions of new users.
- Technology Repaints the Payment Landscape
As technology-driven payment ideas give cash a run for its money, the big winners could be established banks and credit card companies.
- Resurrecting a Meltdown-Proof Reactor Design
A new design for a molten-salt reactor could make nuclear power safer and more economical.
- A Weekend in Bitcoin City: Arnhem, the Netherlands
Is it possible to live for 48 hours on nothing but Bitcoin?
- Sniffing Radio-Frequency Emissions to Secure the Internet of Things
Monitoring the usual behavior of Internet-connected devices could make it possible to detect malicious activity.
- Sales of Bigger Cars Will Force Manufacturers to Stress More Fuel-Efficient Ones
Carmakers must also push out more of the cleaner vehicles to meet average fleet emissions standards.