A View from MIT Technology Review
Seven Must-Read Stories (Week Ending June 21, 2014)
Another chance to catch the most interesting, and important, articles from the previous week on MIT Technology Review.
- Neuroscience’s New Toolbox
With the invention of optogenetics and other technologies, researchers can investigate the source of emotions, memory, and consciousness for the first time.
- Cracking the Brain’s Codes
How does the brain speak to itself?
- Rise of Powerful Mining Pools Forces Rethink of Bitcoin Design
Bitcoin may need to be redesigned to fix a flaw that gave one company a chance to manipulate the cryptocurrency.
- For One Baby, Life Begins with Genome Revealed
How a California father made an end run around medicine to decode his son’s DNA.
- Shining Light on Madness
Drugs for psychiatric illnesses aren’t very effective. But new research is offering renewed hope for better medicines.
- Record-Breaking Solar Cell Points the Way to Cheaper Power
Panasonic reveals a design that surpasses a 20-year-old mark for solar cell efficiency.
- A Search Engine for the Era of Apps
A new kind of search engine will make it possible to search inside the apps on your phone.