A View from MIT Technology Review
Seven Must-Read Stories (Week Ending April 26, 2014)
Another chance to catch the most interesting, and important, articles from the previous week on MIT Technology Review.
- 10 Breakthrough Technologies 2014
Technology news is full of incremental developments, but few of them are true milestones. Here we’re citing 10 that are. These advances from the past year all solve thorny problems or create powerful new ways of using technology. They are breakthroughs that will matter for years to come.
- A Better Breed of News App
Mobile news curation uses human editors and good design to improve the experience of reading the news on smartphones.
- SpaceX Brings a Booster Safely Back to Earth
The successful test of a soft touchdown demonstrates a capability that could cut the cost of space launches significantly.
- An Easy Interface for the Internet of Things
Amid a wide range of new platforms to manage streams of data from the Internet of things, a simple version emerges that anyone can use.
- Diamond Teleporters Herald New Era of Quantum Routing
The ability to teleport quantum information between diamond crystals that can also store it is a small but important step toward a quantum Internet.
- Using Ultrasound to Feel Virtual Objects
A startup uses sound waves to create touch sensations out of thin air.
- Increasingly, Robots of All Sizes Are Human Workmates
Even conventional industrial robots are becoming safer to work around, making them more likely to collaborate with humans.