Seven Must-Read Stories (Week Ending September 6, 2013)
Another chance to catch the most interesting, and important, articles from the previous week on MIT Technology Review.
- Global Patent Map Reveals the Structure of Technological Progress
By mapping the way patents cite each other, network scientists have been able to study how different technologies rely on each other and how new technologies emerge.
- Samsung Smart Watch May Have a Long Way to Go
A sneak peek at Samsung’s Galaxy Gear smart watch suggests that other smart watches could still compete.
- How Advanced Solar Cells Work
Flexible, efficient solar cells will make solar power cheaper.
- Stop Saying Robots Are Destroying Jobs—They Aren’t
Many experts would have us believe that robots and other technologies are behind the job drought. That couldn’t be further from the truth.
- Opioids without Addiction
Nektar Therapeutics is developing a painkiller that may enter the brain too slowly to be abused.
- Intel’s Laser Chips Could Make Data Centers Run Better
Silicon chips with optical technology allow a new form of superfast data connection.
- We Need a Moore’s Law for Medicine
Technology is the primary cause of our skyrocketing health-care costs. It could also be the cure.