Seven Must-Read Stories (Week Ending August 9, 2013)
Another chance to catch the most interesting, and important, articles from the previous week on MIT Technology Review.
- Chinese Hacking Team Caught Taking Over Decoy Water Plant
A hacking group accused of being operated by the Chinese army now seems to be going after industrial control systems.
- Math Advances Raise the Prospect of an Internet Security Crisis
Academic advances suggest that the encryption systems that secure online communications could be undermined in just a few years.
- Motorola’s Moto X: Interface Innovation with a Learning Curve
The Moto X lowers the emphasis on manual control in favor of always-on sensors built to respond to speech, gestures, and context.
- How Tesla Is Driving Electric Car Innovation
If you believe Tesla, affordable, long-range electric cars could be here sooner than many think.
- Romancing the Phone
Love and sex in the age of social media and mobile communication.
- Why BMW’s i3 Electric Car Is Really a Plug-in Hybrid
What BMW’s decision to incorporate a gas engine into its new, electric i3 says about batteries.
- Infographic: The Electric Car Is Here to Stay
The history of electric cars is long and full of false starts. But it looks like the latest wave won’t be turned back.