Seven Must-Read Stories (Week Ending August 2, 2013)
Another chance to catch the most interesting, and important, articles from the previous week on MIT Technology Review.
- The Future of Graphics and Gaming
See the best new ideas in computer graphics and interaction from last week’s Siggraph conference.
- Adapting Old-Style Phone Wires for Superfast Internet
Alcatel-Lucent has demonstrated fiber-like data-transfer speeds over telephone wiring—but will ISPs adopt it?
- New Forms That Function Better
Design software helps architects create grand projects with fanciful forms. It’s time to put the technology to better use.
- Infographic: The World’s Technology Hubs
Regions around the world are competing to be the next centers of technological innovation. In a global map, we grade eight of them.
- If Facebook Can Profit from Your Data, Why Can’t You?
Reputation.com says it’s ready to unveil a place where people can offer personal information to marketers in return for discounts and other perks.
- Chromecast Review: Finally, an Easy Way to Watch the Web on TV
With Chromecast—a simple streaming dongle—Google may have found the perfect way to bring online videos to your TV.
- Hybrid Solar Power Works Even When It’s Not Sunny
The government’s energy research agency is spending $30 million to demonstrate cheap solar power that’s available day and night.