Work with us
Retention Marketing Manager
Operationally and tactically astute as well as data-informed, MIT Technology Review (MITTR) is seeking a Retention Marketing Manager. This role is responsible for creating, implementing, analyzing, and constantly improving paid subscriber retention, increase engagement, and reduce churn. This is a non-technical role and the ideal candidate will have a deep understanding of consumer funnels and segmentation and proven experience developing customer retention strategies that drive growth; is a proactive team player and has a strong sense of personal accountability and expertise in driving bottom line impact.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions**):
- In close partnership with the Director of Digital Marketing, manage the execution of retention marketing programs across multiple channels (email, website, in-app, etc) to drive increased conversion, engagement, product usage, customer ARR and LTV
- Oversee communication at all stages of the subscriber journey, including retention offers and upsell/cross-sell opportunities.
- Work cross-functionally (with analytics, customer service, product editorial) to implement initiatives that drive engagement with our current subscriber base.
- Collaborate with Email Marketing Manager and Consumer Marketing Manager across martech to enable clean, effective segmentation and communication
- Develop and execute specific “at-risk” customer marketing cadences and action plans
- Follow up on retention metrics e.g. onboarding, adoption and product usage rates and suggest retention initiatives where needed based on data
- Coordinate creative design, delivery, segmentation, personalization and messaging, and reporting for all renewal marketing.
- Liaise with internal technical team on vendor selections and integrations that impact retention initiatives.
Supervision Exercised: n/a
Supervision Received: Reports directly to the Director of Digital Marketing
Education and Experience:
- Minimum 3 years of experience in retention planning and operations management and/or direct response marketing.
- Previous experience with a subscription business and solid understanding of subscription metrics is a must.
- Strong critical thinking and analytical capabilities, particularly in customer segmentation
- Experience applying data-driven decisions using analytics, A/B testing, and campaign reports and dashboards to drive business impact
- Exceptional combination of tactical thinking and hands-on execution, including structing automated campaigns.
- Honed project management and time management skills.
- Self-starter with the ability to work independently as well as part of an energetic team in a rapidly evolving environment
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, verbal and written.
- Expert-level attention to detail.
** To comply with regulations by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the principal duties in job descriptions must be essential to the job. To identify essential functions, focus on the purpose and the result of the duties rather than the manner in which they are performed. The following definition applies: a job function is essential if removal of that function would fundamentally change the job.