Work with us
MIT Technology Review is seeking an ambitious technology reporter to join our team of award-winning journalists. You will cover one of the most exciting areas in tech, where AI intersects with cutting edge advances in hardware, including chips, robotics, and quantum computing. Think chip wars, autonomous vehicles, cryptography-cracking computing, and killer robots.
This position is based out of our main newsroom in Cambridge, Massachusetts, right at the heart of MIT and its bustling deep tech scene.
The reporter’s coverage should make TR a must-read by combining beat coverage, scoops, deep enterprise reporting, timely stories about major news events, and sharp analysis. The successful candidate will bring curiosity and rigor to their reporting. They will both possess an understanding of both the technologies they cover, and the businesses and people attempting to commercialize them. They will be excited about the promise technology offers to change the world, while remaining skeptical of its claims until they are proved out.
We’ve been making concerted efforts to make our newsroom more diverse and inclusive (ask us about them!) and we’re always trying to do better. We think technology coverage benefits from a critical outsider’s perspective, and so we especially welcome applications from women, people of color, and other groups underrepresented in tech.
To apply for the job, please submit a resume, along with a cover letter detailing how you would cover your beat, as well as three enterprise story ideas you would like to take on.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions**):
- Produce a steady drumbeat of stories that break news and cover the major events on your assigned beat. These should be a mix of incremental news, scoops, analysis, and explainer type coverage.
- Pitch a mix of shorter and feature stories on your beat for the magazine.
- Write in a clear, engaging, insightful and compelling way, making skilled and creative use of storytelling techniques, including the various forms enabled by digital media.
- Be an original thinker, proposing new approaches and themes of coverage.
- Work in close collaboration with colleagues in other departments (such as events) and oversee other content relevant to their coverage area, ensuring the highest journalistic standards.
- Play a major role in the conception, planning, and assigning of themed print issues when these are on a topic within your beat
- Represent MITTR at conferences, in the press, and to audiences or communities TR wants to reach who have a special interest in that topic.
Supervision Received: Yes
Supervision Exercised: N/A
Education and Experience:
The role will require at least 1-3 years of reporting experience in journalism, preferably with a background covering chips, AI, robotics, or computing.
** To comply with regulations by the American with Disabilities Act (ADA), the principal duties in job descriptions must be essential to the job. To identify essential functions, focus on the purpose and the result of the duties rather than the manner in which they are performed. The following definition applies: a job function is essential if removal of that function would fundamentally change the job.