Work with us
Manager, Retention Marketing
We are looking for a confident, energetic, creative, and collaborative Manager of Retention Marketing to help develop and manage subscription retention efforts that drive growth for MIT Technology Review (www.technologyreview.com). This role is responsible for supporting the Director of Retention Marketing in creating, implementing, analyzing, and optimizing paid subscriber retention, loyalty, and engagement. The ideal candidate will have experience working for a subscription business on customer retention and/or membership or loyalty strategies; knowledge of media/publishing industry and/or practices; ability to execute tactically as well as support developing retention strategies; is a proactive team player and has a strong sense of personal accountability and expertise in driving bottom line impact. Location is remote. Boston or NYC a plus.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions**):
- In close partnership with the Director of Retention Marketing, manage all stages of the subscriber journey, including onboarding, activation, engagement, renewal, winback, and upsell/cross-sell opportunities.
- Develop and launch a new onboarding and activation strategy that increases new subscriber digital engagement and activation rates among digital and print customers.
- Manage and optimize renewal and winback efforts to increase renewals, revenue, and CLV.
- Create and execute a test and learn strategy to optimize performance of ongoing retention efforts and get “quick wins” with ad hoc efforts, through digital and offline channels.
- Work within marketing and analytics tools to measure and track performance and ROI for all retention efforts; work closely with Analytics and Product teams to execute successfully.
- Coordinate creative design, messaging, and trafficking with internal and outside creative and fulfillment teams; ensure that assets are delivered on time and follow direct response marketing best practices.
- Collaborate with Acquisition, Events, and Editorial teams to implement initiatives that increase retention and loyalty.
- Support other retention or marketing-based initiatives as needed; this includes reporting, campaigns, or project management.
Supervision Received: This position reports to the Director of Retention Marketing
Supervision Exercised: N/A
Education and Experience:
- Minimum 5 years of experience in retention marketing and operations in a direct response marketing environment.
- Experience with a subscription, membership or loyalty business and solid understanding of subscription metrics. Experience in media/publishing is a plus.
- Hands-on experience with digital marketing tools, including CRMs, ESPs, and CMS platforms. Knowledge of HTML/CSS is a plus.
- Experience applying data-driven decisions using analytics, A/B testing, campaign reports and dashboards to drive business impact. Knowledge of Google Analytics, Data Studio is a plus.
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Demonstrated ability to identify challenges or opportunities and execute action plans.
- Exceptional combination of tactical thinking and hands-on execution to develop campaigns.
- Experience with direct response copy writing and creative design for digital and print channels.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to prioritize and manage multiple short and long-term projects simultaneously.
- Self-starter with the ability to work independently as well as part of an energetic team in a rapidly evolving environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication.
- Demonstrated attention to detail.
** To comply with regulations by the American with Disabilities Act (ADA), the principal duties in job descriptions must be essential to the job. To identify essential functions, focus on the purpose and the result of the duties rather than the manner in which they are performed. The following definition applies: a job function is essential if removal of that function would fundamentally change the job.