Work with us
Director of Analytics
The Director of Analytics will support the analytic needs of MIT Technology Review by analyzing web traffic and other data to produce reports, insights, and new questions that will have a material impact on the success and health of Technology Review’s business. This position will be responsible for drawing conclusions, providing insights, and making recommendations based on a strategic understanding of MIT Technology Review’s mission, and its commercial and editorial objectives. We are looking for someone who will provide ongoing reporting that goes beyond summarizing what has happened by synthesizing the data to surface actionable insights and recommended changes.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
- Advocate for and enable data-driven decision making at Technology Review by being the voice of data in strategic conversations and business operations. Use data and insights to help Technology Review continue to evolve its product, editorial, and business strategy from the top down, and the bottom up.
- Translate business goals and site functionality into a tracking implementation which allows end users to easily translate data into meaningful observations.
- Partner with multiple unit-leads (e.g. Marketing, Editorial, Finance, Sr. Leadership) to understand their goals, synthesize tracking plans that will deliver actionable insights, and help connect goals vertically throughout the organization.
- Support the development team in creating tracking solutions and managing site tagging through GTM360.
- Create holistic dashboards by pulling data that combines website data with information from other sources, such as our 3rd-party subscription fulfillment vendor and our Wordpress CMS.
- Advance the overall knowledge of data and Google Marketing Platform tools by providing training and mentoring to teammates throughout the organization.
- Identify opportunities for improvement and manage A/B testing that drives fundamental improvements to the site experience as well as increases the conversion rate for subscriptions and event ticket sales.
- Improve and expand our data capture strategy to take advantage of GA360.
- Oversee the design and implementation of and transition to the newest version of Google Analytics (GA4).
- Ensure that best practices in metrics and decision making are being exposed to our management and other decision-makers.
- Weekly and monthly reports and presentations.
- Development and evolution of senior management dashboards.
- Website behavior and customer experience analysis.
- Data consolidation and validation.
- Coordinating tag and tracking parameter implementations.
- Coordinating appropriate stakeholders & preparing multivariate and A/B test plans and post-test analysis.
- Maintain up-to-date documentation on online data capture mechanisms.
Supervision Received: CTO
Supervision Exercised: None
Qualifications and Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum 5 years of experience working with analysis and reporting tools. Expert-level proficiency in the primary components of our stack—Google Analytics, Google Data Studio, Google Tag Manager.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in advanced web analytics methodologies such as experimentation and testing, competitive analysis, surveys, and market research.
- Exceptional Excel skills
- Strong experience and fluency with online media and/or e-commerce environments.
- Understands complex web ecosystems and best practices and applies this knowledge to their work.
- Expertise with customer data platforms, and other business intelligence tools.
- Experience writing and tuning SQL queries, and comfort with the tools and languages most often used to gather and manipulate data. (Python, R, etc.)
- Experience integrating 3rd-party APIs (data sources) into a business intelligence stack.
- Experience measuring the success of digital marketing efforts, e.g. social, SEM/PPC, and SEO campaigns.
- A working understanding of core website technologies (HTML, CSS, JS)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with all levels of end-users and technical resources.
- Able to work effectively both independently and as a member of a cross-functional team.
- Uses sound judgment to identify issues and escalates when appropriate.
** To comply with regulations by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the principal duties in job descriptions must be essential to the job. To identify essential functions, focus on the purpose and the result of the duties rather than the manner in which they are performed. The following definition applies: a job function is essential if removal of that function would fundamentally change the job.