Work with us
Director of Acquisition Marketing
MIT Technology Review is an independent media company owned by MIT. Established in 1899, it was the first-ever technology magazine. In its 120-year-plus history, MIT Technology Review (MITTR) has undergone numerous transformations; first it separated from the Institute to become a commercial entity, later it established full editorial independence, and more recently, it underwent a multi-faceted digital transformation, putting MITTR on a level playing field with other modern media companies. In this next phase, we are building scale.
At this vital moment in our journey, we seek a confident, energetic, creative, and collaborative Director of Acquisition Marketing to shape and drive our growth. Reporting to the VP of Marketing and Consumer Revenue and empowered by strong relationships with her/his peers, the new leader will own the end-to-end audience/subscriber acquisition strategy for all channels.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions**):
· Create multi-channel marketing plans by researching, analyzing, and defining target audience requirements; analyzing competitors’ offerings; and understanding MITTR goals and objectives
· Advocate for brand, voice, and identity of MITTR and its personalities
· Oversee and manage the complete customer journey up to and including the point of purchase, including brand awareness, consideration, and paid conversions
· Design successful campaigns to attract and convert prospects who are likely to remain subscribers for many years
· Maintain keen eye on campaign performance, especially ROI, adjusting tactics to optimize results
· Through detailed understanding of customer needs and requirements, act as an advocate in pricing and bundling decisions
· Collaborate closely and constantly with colleagues on Product, Analytics, and Editorial teams to identify approaches to increase the effectiveness of the website and other products (newsletters, podcasts, etc.) in supporting MITTR goals
· Remain up to date with new marketing techniques and technologies, ensuring that MITTR marketing is best in class
Other duties as needed or required.
Supervision Received: This position reports to the VP Marketing and Consumer Revenue
Supervision Exercised: yes
Education and Experience:
· BA/BS degree or equivalent practical experience
· Minimum of 5 years marketing experience desired, preferably in media
· Demonstrated experience planning campaigns and activities informed by data analytics and customer insights
· Demonstrated copywriting ability to drive sales
· Experience with digital marketing concepts, specifically social, web, and email
· Experience with landing page optimization strategies and SEO
· Excellent organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple short and long-term projects simultaneously, communicating timelines across teams
** To comply with regulations by the American with Disabilities Act (ADA), the principal duties in job descriptions must be essential to the job. To identify essential functions, focus on the purpose and the result of the duties rather than the manner in which they are performed. The following definition applies: a job function is essential if removal of that function would fundamentally change the job.