Project Manager, Digital Products
The Product Development team at Technology Review is responsible for the design and development of all digital products. Our aim is to enable a great experience for users that engage with our journalism in all its forms and help the organization meet defined goals for engagement and commerce.
The Project Manager will help the team plan, manage, and deliver projects that enable a great user experience and enable the organization to meet its goals. This role works closely with the Chief Digital Officer, Product Manager, and other members of the organization to identify project objectives, requirements, and timing. They will be responsible for managing timelines, prioritization, resource utilization, and related communications.
- Partner, support, and collaborate with the engineering, product, and design teams as well as with colleagues throughout the organization in evaluating, implementing, and managing assigned projects.
- Convert requirements into tasks and determine task priorities for individual team members. Perform other tasks as assigned.
- Conduct regular check-ins to ensure projects are on schedule, flagging any changes with appropriate parties.
- Create and maintain documentation of project notes and feedback, sharing with the project team as needed.
- Proactively supervise and implement project plans to ensure that projects are on-schedule.
- Coordinate internal and external resources to meet project requirements, as defined by the project scope.
- Mitigate risks to project completion, addressing conflicts and resolving issues with the project team and stakeholders.
- Keep stakeholders informed of project status.
- Be accountable for projects staying on-schedule, and meeting or exceeding expectations.
Supervision Received: This role reports to the Chief Digital Officer
Supervision Exercised: None
Requirements and qualifications
- BA/BS degree or equivalent practical experience.
- Minimum 3 years of experience as a project manager for web and mobile digital products in a fast-paced agile environment (Kanban, Scrum).
- Experience working with colleagues at all organizational levels with a high degree of professionalism and business acumen.
- Strong ability to articulate process logic and technical concepts including building and delivery of technical presentations.
- Able to clearly communicate complex technical concepts with non-technical colleagues.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Able to think strategically, solve problems effectively, and tenaciously follow-through to ensure project success.
- Exceptional time management skills, highly organized, motivated and driven to succeed
- Experience in creating and communicating detailed project plans in a variety of formats
- Prior experience managing external vendors and resources to assist with execution.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and experience with web-based project management tools. Our current tools include Trello, Done.Done, and TeamGantt.
- Empathy, understanding, and the ability to anticipate the needs of team members to keep projects moving forward.
- Prior experience updating and managing sites within WordPress will be helpful, but is not required
The ideal candidate will also:
- Be pragmatic about the toolset and not in love with any single tool.
- Be intensely curious (seeks to understand ‘why’).
- Be outcomes-focused (values actionable recommendations over interesting insights).
- Be an independent learner (enjoys learning new tools and technologies).
- Value a sense of humor — or better yet, have a good one.
- Have a point of view on important issues, and the courage to voice it, especially when it differs from the group consensus. Not scared to publicize the truth.
- Have a love of media in all of its forms.