Platforms and Growth Editor
MIT Technology Review is looking for a platforms and growth editor to expand the reach of MIT Technology Review’s esteemed science and technology journalism. In this position, you will oversee the distribution of MITTR editorial and event content on platforms beyond the website, and will own MITTR’s presence across social media, including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and others.
You will develop, execute and iterate on growth strategies; traffic analysis and referral data, using what we learn to attract new readers. Working with editorial colleagues on proactive distribution methods for their stories (which could include social, newsletters, or yet-to-be-invented types of distribution); and help make stories more social-friendly with advice on headlines and presentation. In collaboration with the events team, you will provide social media promotion and live coverage of MITTR events including EmTech conferences.
The ideal candidate
Will have newsroom editorial experience, preferably focused on technology or science and a collaborative nature to coordinate with colleagues across the company, including marketing, sales, and product development, to ensure that MITTR’s voice on all off-platform communication is consistent with the brand while being appropriate for each platform.
You have a deep understanding of the social media landscape, newsroom experience and demonstrated ability in news and headline writing, editing and growing a news audience and engaging readers. You bring experience monitoring and extracting insights from, and developing strategy using digital analytics and social media management tools and a strong understanding of journalistic ethics. You can tell a complex story in simple, understandable language and have an inherent interest in technology and science news.
MIT Technology Review aims to be the world’s leading guide to understanding emerging technology and its impact on society. It is owned by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and operates under a policy of strict editorial independence from the institute.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Execute and manage social media posting, experimentation, and analytics, with an eye towards how strategy meets daily coverage.
- Produce social content, including video, images, GIFs, and experiment with emerging platform content such as 360 video or live streams.
- Establish and own editorial relationships with social networks and aggregators (Facebook, Twitter, Apple News, Reddit, etc).
- Act as social media advocate within the editorial staff, sharing best practices and working with writers and editors to craft headlines and social content.
- Work with the Director of Audience Development to monitor analytics and deliver relevant metrics, like weekly site and social media performance data, to the editorial staff. Provide feedback on what is and isn’t working and help craft strategies for success.
- Respond to inquiries and comments on social channels. When possible, moderate comments to ensure discussions, particularly on Facebook, are informative.
- Run live coverage of events, primarily on Twitter and Instagram Stories. Occasionally travel to attend MIT Technology Review events in person.
- Research and stay up to date on ever-evolving social media best practices, SEO trends, and other pathways for attracting readers.