Cambridge, MA or remote
We’re hiring a seasoned editor to help shape our world-leading coverage of emerging technology.
As you’ll note elsewhere on our Careers page, we’re hiring writers—which means we need an editor to work with them. Along with the rest of the editing team, you’ll guide a group of reporters whose expertise in subjects ranging from AI to climate change is second to none. As a force multiplier, you will spend your days helping reporters find the very best stories, honing their copy and encouraging their growth as writers, and putting out must-read technology journalism.
You’ll come aboard just as we’re expanding into new beats and formats, too, which means we need someone who’s an unconventional thinker, always hungry to find a new angle or a subject that others have missed. Enjoy crafting explainers? Our readers love ‘em (and we all need them. This stuff is hard). Dying to work on data-driven stories? So is our team. Want to design and build a video game that tells a story about technology? … well, we haven’t done that. Yet.
Don’t get us wrong—news stories, original reporting, and engrossing long-form features aren’t going anywhere at Tech Review. It’s one of the great things about working here: you get all the freedom to push the envelope that you would at an online outlet and every two months we produce a big, beautiful glossy magazine you can put your hands all over.
Principal duties and responsibilities:
You will manage several reporters whose expertise ranges across the spectrum of emerging technologies. You will oversee their output online and in print as well as help bring in and edit freelance pieces. The goal is simple and challenging: through your work, help readers understand how technology is shaping the world. And while you’re at it, make every piece an essential read. In addition, you will be expected to:
- manage editorial process, revise workflows as needed, set deadlines, and allocate editorial assignments.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with authors and liaise with them throughout production.
- Manage and/or direct work through editors, writers, graphic designers, and/or other content developers, providing counsel on how to sharpen and refine what they produce.
- Reports to the Executive Editor
- Supervises several reporters directly.
Education and experience:
- You have at least 5 years experience editing technology and/or science coverage for a newspaper, magazine, or online outlet.
- You are comfortable both taking an already-good feature to the next level and performing major surgery on copy.
- You relish the opportunity to work with young rising star reporters as much as you enjoy pushing veterans to raise their game. The only thing better than learning about new technological advances and astonishing research results yourself is living vicariously through the writers you work with.
- You are good at managing and hitting a variety of shifting deadlines, from daily to weekly to bi-monthly.
- You love seeking out new voices and perspectives on technology issues and getting them to write for you.
- You have a track record of working in all sorts of story formats both online and in print: compelling profiles, explainers, through-written narrative features, news hits, infographics, photo essays and so on.
- You do not mince words. You deliver feedback with kindness and clarity, and do not avoid difficult conversations when necessary. You see problem stories coming a mile away and nip them in the bud.
- You are as obsessed with the craft of writing as you are with facts and accuracy.