Flexible location, Europe preferred
MIT Technology Review is looking for an incisive writer with a love of emerging technology and innovation to join its news team. You will be the lead writer on the Download, our daily tech newsletter, with more than 100,000 subscribers, as well as writing daily news stories on the biggest current issues in emerging technology. Our ideal candidate will be based in Europe or further east, producing the Download in time for morning reading in the US.
This is a job for someone with a wide-ranging curiosity who relishes the fast-paced environment of online news and likes to experiment with digital storytelling formats. You’ll enjoy finding creative, engaging ways to write about tech news, eschewing the stolid, straight-news templates of traditional media. You’ll be a keen joiner of dots, looking for trends and storylines that bring context to the daily news cycle and connect seemingly disparate issues. And you’ll be a collaborative worker who feeds off the intellectual firepower of Technology Review’s staff of expert journalists to help inform your own work. At the same time, you’ll be a disciplined self-starter who can operate with a high degree of autonomy, given time-zone differences.
You should ideally have 3-5 years of experience in science or technology journalism, and be comfortable writing quickly and accurately to daily deadlines. Talented writers with less experience will be considered.
MIT Technology Review aims to be the world’s leading guide to understanding emerging technology and its impact on society. It is owned by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and operates under a policy of strict editorial independence from the institute.
Principal duties and responsibilities
- Write and grow the daily Download newsletter, striving to make it a must-read for anyone interested in following technology news
- Write stories about major news in the world of emerging technology and innovation that are authoritative, timely, and engaging
- Work with other writers and editors to hone story selection and ideas for coverage
- Work with the social media team to ensure stories reach the largest possible audience
- Engage with readers via email and social platforms to get feedback and ideas
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or a technology-related field
- 3-5 years experience in science or technology journalism including writing for digital platforms
- Active presence on social media
- Distinctive writing voice, with a knack for rendering complex issues in a concise, clear, jargon-free way
- Experience with basic data visualization
- Rigorous accuracy
- Proficiency with or readiness to learn the use of platforms such as Mailchimp and Hootsuite