We are looking for an experienced editor to oversee MIT Technology Review’s daily news coverage and its growing stable of newsletters. You will be responsible both for shaping how we respond in an agile, intelligent, creative and selective way to breaking news, and for improving and expanding our email newsletter offerings.
You will work with all the writers on staff to commission and edit time-sensitive stories within their beats. In addition, you’ll edit our newsletters on AI, the future of work, and blockchain and supervise our main daily newsletter, The Download, as well as managing the reporters who write those newsletters. You’ll also be central in developing any additional newsletters we decide to launch, and in looking for ways to improve the ones we publish currently.
This is a job for someone who is fascinated by cutting-edge technology, relishes the fast-paced environment of online news, and likes to experiment with digital storytelling formats. You’ll be expected to be a source of ideas and inspiration to writers, encouraging them to be creative in their approaches to online stories and avoid the boring straight-news formats of traditional media. And you’ll need to be a sharp-eyed editor who wages unrelenting war on jargon and excess verbiage.
MIT Technology Review aims to be the world’s leading guide to understanding emerging technology and its impact on society. It is owned by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and operates under a policy of strict editorial independence from the institute.
Principal duties and responsibilities
- Edit most of TR’s email newsletters (currently Clocking In, the Algorithm, and Chain Letter) before publication for accuracy, style and concision
- Supervise the Download newsletter, which is written from Europe, with feedback post-publication
- Monitor breaking news and commission and edit short news stories for the TR website from staff writers, according to their expertise and availability
- Ensure that TR has coverage of the main news events in each of its core topic areas
- Manage the core team of writers (currently four) who produce the newsletters
- Keep abreast of other publications’ newsletters and breaking-news products and propose improvements or alterations to TR’s own offerings
- Work with writers and editors on developing new newsletters as needed
- Monitor metrics such as newsletter open rate, publishing frequency and traffic to news stories
- 3-5 years’ experience in journalism, including at least 2 years as an editor
- Experience publishing for digital platforms and using a variety of formats
- Bachelor’s degree
- Either a technology education or a technology journalism background
- Proven ability to operate in a fast-paced news environment and juggle multiple information and communication streams at once
- Exceptional accuracy and attention to detail
- Excellent copy-editing skills, with special emphasis on concision and accuracy
Please apply at News Editor (Job Number 15907). Please include a link to your online portfolio and/or personal Web site.Apply