Director of Digital Marketing and Communications
Director of Digital Marketing and Communications develops and executes online and offline marketing initiatives strategies to achieve revenue goals, generate brand awareness and build loyalty for MIT Technology Review (www.technologyreview.com).
The ideal staffer has honed skills in customer-facing marketing tactics; is analytical, nimble and creative with the ability to critically incorporate data and testing into the decision-making process to increase subscribers, event registrations, and traffic across various channels.
With an eye toward ROI, KPIs and direct response metrics, Director of Digital Marketing and Communication should have proven success optimizing a marketing mix that includes, but is not limited to SEM, display, affiliates/syndication, email, direct media buys, partnerships, video, radio, and web; as well as honed skills managing internal and external communications.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions**):
- Cultivate a keen interest in how technology affects society and business; technology information in the larger media marketplace, as well as an understanding of audience and MITTR as a whole
- Develop multi-channel marketing plans by researching, analyzing, and defining customer requirements; identifying target customers, analyzing competitors’ offerings, studying MITTR objectives and identifying strategic content partnerships
- Primary point of contact for Customer Service and fulfillment partner(s)
- Work with Circulation Manager to create, implement, and evaluate customer service strategies with an eye toward awareness, engagement, loyalty and retention
- Drive customer segmentation and communication conversion strategies to generate higher response rates and greater ROI
- Provide budget, vendor, and partner oversight for marketing-related projects as well as managing internal and external resource, priorities, and expenditures
- Identify features and functionality improvements that increase the effectiveness of the website in supporting MITTR goals
- Act as platform owner for marketing tools (CDP, ESP and landing page platform) with test-and-learn discipline
- Develop and implement promotions and creative campaigns, including copywriting—clear, concise, and persuasive copy for consumer marketing—to drive subscription growth, increase event registration and maximize customer value
- Steward of best practices and development of a public and media relations network for the promotion of brand and editorial catalog
- Advocate for the brand-, voice- and identity-language of MITTR and its personalities
- Adapt style to the creative needs of multiple channels including email, display ads, text placements, direct mail, advertorials, landing pages, order pages, microsites, etc.
- Oversee all website development and content as it relates to all consumer revenue (subscription), marketing and communication initiatives
- Responsible for measuring and reporting tactical campaign performance
- Maintain a calendar of integrated marketing programs and promotions across the Marketing team
- Use analytics tools to measure and report results of marketing campaigns and identify new opportunities
- Establish revenue and expense targets for all direct marketing efforts, regardless of channel, and analyze promotion performance, including mailing and email response rates
- Work collaboratively with the Technology department to plan and implement improvements
- Supervise a Consumer Marketing Associate
- Reports directly to the SVP of Marketing and Consumer Revenues
- 1 FTE
Education and Experience:
- BA/BS degree in marketing, marketing communications or related field of study
- Minimum of 7 years marketing/product management desired, preferably in media or publishing with a thorough understanding of online business models and strategies
- Proficiency with direct response marketing principles and practices a must
- Membership/subscription/customer management experience preferred
- Honed media planning and buying skills
- Strong writing and copy ability and interpersonal skills including excellent business writing and presentation skills
- Adept at using marketing platforms such as Blueconic, Unbounce, and ESP such as Mailchimp
- Sensitivity to graphic design and copy fitting
- Solid analytical capability and business decision-making ability.
- Excellent time management skills with ability to multi-task and work well within a tight deadline environment
** To comply with regulations by the American with Disabilities Act (ADA), the principal duties in job descriptions must be essential to the job. To identify essential functions, focus on the purpose and the result of the duties rather than the manner in which they are performed. The following definition applies: a job function is essential if removal of that function would fundamentally change the job.Apply