Director of Analytics
The Director of Digital Analytics (DDA) will support the analytic needs of MIT Technology Review by analyzing web traffic using tools such as Google Analytics, Parse.ly, HotJar, etc. and produce reports relating to outcomes. This position will be responsible for drawing conclusions, providing insights, and making recommendations based on a strategic understanding of MIT Technology Review’s mission and commercial and editorial objectives. We are looking for someone that will provide ongoing reporting that goes beyond summarizing what has happened – synthesizing the data to surface actionable insights and recommended changes. This is a high profile position with significant opportunity for growth.
- Create holistic dashboards by pulling data that combines website data with information from other sources such as our 3rd-party subscription fulfillment vendor and editorial information from our Wordpress CMS.
- Partnering with marketing, editorial and product management stakeholders, drive core insights from the data to suggest, create and execute multivariate or a/b tests that drive fundamental improvements to the site experience as well as increase the conversion rate for subscription and event ticket sales.
- Support all facets of the decision-making process (clickstream analysis, outcomes analysis, search analysis, multivariate testing analysis).
- Identify opportunities to improve our data capture strategy and collaboratively implement enhancements.
- Support key marketing initiatives relating to subscription attribution modeling
- Ensure that best practices in metrics and decision making are being exposed to our management and other decision-makers.
- Weekly, monthly reports.
- Development of senior management dashboards.
- Website behavior and customer experience analysis.
- Data consolidation and validation.
- Coordinating tag and tracking parameter implementations.
- With appropriate stakeholders, prepare multivariate and A/B test plans and post-test analysis.
- Maintain up-to-date documentation on all online data capture mechanisms.
Supervision Received: This role reports to the Chief Digital Officer
Supervision Exercised: None
Requirements and qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree (MBA preferred)
- Minimum 3 years of experience working with analysis and reporting tools. The primary components of our stack are Google Analytics, Google Data Studio, Google Tag Manager, Looker, and Parse.ly.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in advanced web analytics methodologies such as experimentation and testing, competitive analysis, surveys, and market research.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in one or more roles in an online media or e-commerce environments.
- Understands the complex web ecosystems and best practices and applies this knowledge to their work.
- High level of expertise with Business Intelligence tools such as Looker, Domo, Microsoft Power BI, or similar, with experience writing and tuning SQL queries.
- Experience measuring the success of SEM/PPC and SEO campaigns/efforts will be helpful but is not required.
- An understanding of core website technologies (HTML, CSS, JS)
- Exceptional Excel skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact with all levels of end-users and technical resources.
- Able to work effectively both independently and as a member of a cross-functional team.
- Uses sound judgment to identify issues and escalates when appropriate.
The ideal candidate will also:
- Be pragmatic about the toolset and not in love with any single tool.
- Be intensely curious (seeks to understand ‘why’).
- Be outcomes-focused (values actionable recommendations over interesting insights).
- Be an independent learner (enjoys learning new tools and technologies).
- Value a sense of humor — or better yet, have a good one.
- Have a point of view on important issues, and the courage to voice it, especially when it differs from the group consensus. Not scared to publicize the truth.
- Have a love of media in all of its forms.