- China’s Massive Effort to Purify Seawater Is Drying Up
Stalled projects and underperforming plants have hampered China’s desalination plans.
- Pokémon Go’s Breakout Success Has Implications for the Real World, Too
Nintendo’s mega-popular new game shows that augmented reality may yet trump virtual reality.
- Tesla’s Strategy Is Risky and Aggressive, but It Has Worked
Elon Musk has made a bold bet that the car industry can move faster than anybody believed possible.
- How Amazon Loses on Prime and Still Wins
Expect Prime Day to be even bigger this year.
- Tougher Turing Test Exposes Chatbots’ Stupidity
We have a long way to go if we want virtual assistants to understand us.
- Inside Facebook’s Artificial Intelligence Engine Room
These are the new computers Facebook created to accelerate its machine learning research.
- Find Out Which Appliance Is Sucking All Your Power
Sense’s $299 gadget identifies individual devices in the home and exactly how much electricity they are using. <
How a Russian cyberwar in Ukraine could ripple out globally
Soldiers and tanks may care about national borders. Cyber doesn't.
Meet Altos Labs, Silicon Valley’s latest wild bet on living forever
Funders of a deep-pocketed new "rejuvenation" startup are said to include Jeff Bezos and Yuri Milner.
Meta’s new learning algorithm can teach AI to multi-task
The single technique for teaching neural networks multiple skills is a step towards general-purpose AI.
Going bald? Lab-grown hair cells could be on the way
These biotech companies are reprogramming cells to treat baldness, but it’s still early days.
Get the latest updates from
MIT Technology Review
Discover special offers, top stories, upcoming events, and more.