- China’s Massive Effort to Purify Seawater Is Drying Up
Stalled projects and underperforming plants have hampered China’s desalination plans.
- Pokémon Go’s Breakout Success Has Implications for the Real World, Too
Nintendo’s mega-popular new game shows that augmented reality may yet trump virtual reality.
- Tesla’s Strategy Is Risky and Aggressive, but It Has Worked
Elon Musk has made a bold bet that the car industry can move faster than anybody believed possible.
- How Amazon Loses on Prime and Still Wins
Expect Prime Day to be even bigger this year.
- Tougher Turing Test Exposes Chatbots’ Stupidity
We have a long way to go if we want virtual assistants to understand us.
- Inside Facebook’s Artificial Intelligence Engine Room
These are the new computers Facebook created to accelerate its machine learning research.
- Find Out Which Appliance Is Sucking All Your Power
Sense’s $299 gadget identifies individual devices in the home and exactly how much electricity they are using. <
Here’s how a Twitter engineer says it will break in the coming weeks
One insider says the company’s current staffing isn’t able to sustain the platform.
Technology that lets us “speak” to our dead relatives has arrived. Are we ready?
Digital clones of the people we love could forever change how we grieve.
How to befriend a crow
I watched a bunch of crows on TikTok and now I'm trying to connect with some local birds.
Starlink signals can be reverse-engineered to work like GPS—whether SpaceX likes it or not
Elon said no thanks to using his mega-constellation for navigation. Researchers went ahead anyway.
Get the latest updates from
MIT Technology Review
Discover special offers, top stories, upcoming events, and more.