- The Memory Trick Making Computers Seem Smarter
One startup’s approach to teaching computers to learn shows the value of applying new ideas to machine learning.
- Pentagon Hackers Are Waging America’s First Cyberwar
Defense secretary Ashton Carter boasts that cyber operations will help take down ISIS – opening a new era in U.S. warfare.
- How WeChat Is Extending China’s School Days Well into the Night
New homework assignments at 7 p.m., corrections due by midnight: how teachers, parents, and students in some schools in China are using WeChat to perpetuate round-the-clock pressure.
- How Carbon Dioxide from the Air Can Boost Batteries
Researchers employ a novel electrochemical process to make carbon nanotubes from ambient carbon dioxide and use them to boost battery performance.
- The Artificially Intelligent Doctor Will Hear You Now
U.K.-based startup Babylon will launch an app later this year that will listen to your symptoms and provide medical advice. Will it help or hinder the health-care system?
- Why Solar Giant SunEdison Might Be Doomed
Once one of the biggest names in solar, the troubled energy company faces lawsuits, huge debts, and possible bankruptcy.
- A Bitcoin-Style Currency for Central Banks
The Bank of England asked researchers to invent a digital currency with a more centralized design. <