- Gravitational Waves Have Been Discovered, Opening a New Window on the Universe
Researchers announce they’ve found ripples in the fabric of the cosmos that confirm Einstein’s theory of general relativity.
- We Have the Technology to Destroy All Zika Mosquitoes
Fear of the Zika virus could generate support for gene drives, a radical technology able to make species go extinct.
- The Tiny Startup Racing Google to Build a Quantum Computing Chip
Rigetti Computing is working on designs for quantum-powered chips to perform previously impossible feats that advance chemistry and machine learning.
- Unraveling the Mysterious Function of the Microbiome
A new class of experimental therapies is emerging from the study of how the community of microörganisms in your body contributes to disease.
- Top U.S. Intelligence Official Calls Gene Editing a WMD Threat
Easy to use. Hard to control. The intelligence community now sees CRISPR as a threat to national safety.
- Artificial Intelligence Offers a Better Way to Diagnose Malaria
An algorithm for spotting malaria under the microscope could bring accurate, rapid diagnosis to understaffed areas.
- China Could Have a Meltdown-Proof Nuclear Reactor Next Year
Two high-temperature, gas-cooled reactors under construction in Shandong will make up the first commercial-scale plant of its type in the world. <
How AI is reinventing what computers are
Three key ways artificial intelligence is changing what it means to compute.
These weird virtual creatures evolve their bodies to solve problems
They show how intelligence and body plans are closely linked—and could unlock AI for robots.
We reviewed three at-home covid tests. The results were mixed.
Over-the-counter coronavirus tests are finally available in the US. Some are more accurate and easier to use than others.
A horrifying new AI app swaps women into porn videos with a click
Deepfake researchers have long feared the day this would arrive.
Get the latest updates from
MIT Technology Review
Discover special offers, top stories, upcoming events, and more.