- Gravitational Waves Have Been Discovered, Opening a New Window on the Universe
Researchers announce they’ve found ripples in the fabric of the cosmos that confirm Einstein’s theory of general relativity.
- We Have the Technology to Destroy All Zika Mosquitoes
Fear of the Zika virus could generate support for gene drives, a radical technology able to make species go extinct.
- The Tiny Startup Racing Google to Build a Quantum Computing Chip
Rigetti Computing is working on designs for quantum-powered chips to perform previously impossible feats that advance chemistry and machine learning.
- Unraveling the Mysterious Function of the Microbiome
A new class of experimental therapies is emerging from the study of how the community of microörganisms in your body contributes to disease.
- Top U.S. Intelligence Official Calls Gene Editing a WMD Threat
Easy to use. Hard to control. The intelligence community now sees CRISPR as a threat to national safety.
- Artificial Intelligence Offers a Better Way to Diagnose Malaria
An algorithm for spotting malaria under the microscope could bring accurate, rapid diagnosis to understaffed areas.
- China Could Have a Meltdown-Proof Nuclear Reactor Next Year
Two high-temperature, gas-cooled reactors under construction in Shandong will make up the first commercial-scale plant of its type in the world. <