- Cybersecurity: The Age of the Megabreach
We haven’t stopped huge breaches. The focus now is on resilience, with smarter ways to detect attacks and faster ways to respond to them.
- What Marvin Minsky Still Means for AI
How Marvin Minsky, a pioneer of artificial intelligence who died on Sunday, still influences the field today.
- Next Big Test for AI: Making Sense of the World
A new database will gauge progress in artificial intelligence, as computers try to grasp what’s going on in scenes shown in photographs.
- Renewables Plus Transmission Could Cut Emissions by 80 Percent
Large-scale transmission lines could eliminate the need for advanced energy storage, researchers conclude.
- Google’s AI Masters the Game of Go a Decade Earlier Than Expected
Google achieves one of the long-standing “grand challenges” of AI by building a computer that can beat expert players at the board game Go.
- First Monkeys with Autism Created in China
They spin in their cages and don’t interact. The scientists who created autistic monkeys say they’ll now try to cure them.
- Is 3-D Printing the Key to Cheap Carbon-Fiber Parts?
Two startups aim to make carbon-fiber parts more affordable by reinventing how they are made. <