- When Your Boss Is an Uber Algorithm
Researchers examine how Uber steers its drivers’ behavior with its automated management system, despite its promise of letting you be “your own boss.”
- Why Solar Power Could Hit a Ceiling
In the absence of energy storage, solar energy can’t grow without decreasing its own value.
- Everything You Need to Know About CRISPR Gene Editing’s Monster Year
The explosion of gene-editing methods is transforming medicine, agriculture, and possibly the future of the human species.
- Stop Emissions!
A climate scientist argues that it should no longer be acceptable to dump carbon dioxide in the sky.
- Artificial Intelligence Aims to Make Wikipedia Friendlier and Better
The nonprofit behind Wikipedia is turning to machine learning to combat a long-standing decline in the number of editors.
- Patients Favor Changing the Genes of the Next Generation with CRISPR
To people facing a devastating inherited disease, engineering humanity sounds like a good thing.
- The U.S. and Europe Are Mostly to Blame for the Climate Conundrum
The future emissions of China and India are of huge global concern, but richer countries are responsible for most of the carbon dioxide humans have added to the atmosphere. <