- Machine Dreams
To rescue its struggling business, Hewlett-Packard is making a long-shot bid to change the fundamentals of how computers work.
- Chinese Team Reports Gene-Editing Human Embryos
A research team finds that gene editing isn’t yet reliable enough to engineer the human species.
- A Swiss Army Knife for Neuroscience
Neural probes that combine optics, electronics, and drugs could help unlock the secrets of the brain.
- Google’s New Wireless Service Should Make Verizon and AT&T Squirm
Google is working with Sprint and T-Mobile to put you on the best available LTE network at any given time.
- A Smartphone Eye Exam Service Launches in New York
A startup has a smartphone-assisted gadget that can determine your glasses prescription, with help from a remote optometrist.
- White House and Department of Homeland Security Want a Way Around Encryption
The secretary for homeland security and the president’s cybersecurity advisor echo the NSA and FBI’s concerns about encryption.
- An Algorithm Set Revolutionizes 3-D Protein Structure Discovery
A new way to determine 3-D structures from 2-D images is set to speed up protein structure discovery by a factor of 100,000. <