- Google’s Intelligence Designer
The man behind a startup acquired by Google for $628 million plans to build a revolutionary new artificial intelligence.
- Discarded Laptop Batteries Keep the Lights On
Millions of batteries discarded with computers have more than enough life to power home lighting for one year, researchers in India say.
- 3-D-Printing Bio-Electronic Parts
With new “inks” containing semiconductors, researchers have been able to print LEDs for the first time.
- Your Online Journal, Built from Heartbeats, Sleep Patterns, and Hikes
A startup called Gyroscope wants to build you a personal website that’s automatically updated with your own data.
- Material Cools Buildings by Sending Heat into Space
A new material that requires no electricity uses the universe as a heat sink—even when the sun is shining.
- Cheap Oil Could Kill Off Cellulosic Ethanol
Inexpensive oil could increase the pressure to reduce mandates for biofuels.
- How Google “Translates” Pictures into Words Using Vector Space Mathematics
Google engineers have trained a machine-learning algorithm to write picture captions using the same techniques it developed for language translation. <