- Alert! Websites Will Soon Start Pushing App-Style Notifications
A new feature of most browsers will let them issue alerts through a PC or mobile operating system.
- Your Retirement May Include a Robot Helper
As industrial robots become more capable, they could start helping out around the home.
- A Credit Card Terminal That Takes Apps
A former head of Google Wallet rolls out a “smart” terminal for all kinds of payments.
- Will a Breakthrough Solar Technology See the Light of Day?
A startup that might have a record-breaking solar cell is in danger of going out of business.
- Materials Trick Might Help Move Computers Beyond Silicon
Ferroelectric materials could take computing beyond digital logic.
- Google’s Secretive DeepMind Startup Unveils a “Neural Turing Machine”
DeepMind has built a neural network that can access an external memory like a conventional Turing machine. The result is a computer that mimics the short-term memory of the human brain.
- Computers Could Talk Themselves into Giving Up Secrets
Malware might use a voice synthesizer to bypass some security controllers, researchers say. <
This startup wants to copy you into an embryo for organ harvesting
With plans to create realistic synthetic embryos, grown in jars, Renewal Bio is on a journey to the horizon of science and ethics.
VR is as good as psychedelics at helping people reach transcendence
On key metrics, a VR experience elicited a response indistinguishable from subjects who took medium doses of LSD or magic mushrooms.
This artist is dominating AI-generated art. And he’s not happy about it.
Greg Rutkowski is a more popular prompt than Picasso.
This nanoparticle could be the key to a universal covid vaccine
Ending the covid pandemic might well require a vaccine that protects against any new strains. Researchers may have found a strategy that will work.
Get the latest updates from
MIT Technology Review
Discover special offers, top stories, upcoming events, and more.