- Can Sucking CO2 Out of the Atmosphere Really Work?
A Columbia scientist and his startup think they have a plan to save the world. Now they have to convince the rest of us.
- The Contrarian’s Guide to Changing the World
Investor Peter Thiel has inspiring advice for wanna-be entrepreneurs, but he is unrealistic about where technology really comes from.
- An Industrial-Size Generator That Runs on Waste Heat, Using No Fuel
Startup Alphabet Energy has its first product: what it says is the world’s largest thermoelectric generator.
- Should Industrial Robots Be Able to Hurt Their Human Coworkers?
Standards bodies are wrestling with the impact of accidental robot strikes.
- Lighting Sheets Would Use Half as Much Power as Lightbulbs
OLEDs are highly efficient but expensive. Better materials and manufacturing methods are changing that.
- An Optical Trick Makes Disappearing Messages Harder to Screenshot
An app called Yovo uses a clever trick to make it hard to preserve its ephemeral messages.
- Winners of the Nobel Prize for Physics Enabled Ultra-Efficient Lighting
The blue LED might save more energy than just about any other technology. <