- EmTech: Google’s Internet “Loon” Balloons Will Ring the Globe within a Year
Google X research lab boss Astro Teller says experimental wireless balloons will test delivering Internet access throughout the Southern Hemisphere by next year.
- Robots That Learn Through Repetition, Not Programming
A startup says getting a robot to do things should be less about writing code and more like animal training.
- EmTech: Box CEO Offers Advice for Microsoft
Microsoft must understand that companies want to buy software from more than one provider, the upstart competitor argues.
- Paralyzed Rats Take 1,000 Steps, Orchestrated by Computer
Controlled by software, paralyzed rats walk and climb stairs.
- EmTech: Illumina Says 228,000 Human Genomes Will Be Sequenced This Year
Record number of genomes being decoded, but cost of DNA sequencing might not fall much further, says Illumina president.
- A Failure to Treat Workers with Respect Could Be Uber’s Achilles’ Heel
Disruptive technology platforms are only as good as the human resources they leverage.
- This Phone App Knows If You’re Depressed
Motion, audio, and location data harvested from a smartphone can be analyzed to accurately predict stress or depression. <
10 Breakthrough Technologies 2024
Every year, we look for promising technologies poised to have a real impact on the world. Here are the advances that we think matter most right now.
Scientists are finding signals of long covid in blood. They could lead to new treatments.
Faults in a certain part of the immune system might be at the root of some long covid cases, new research suggests.
AI for everything: 10 Breakthrough Technologies 2024
Generative AI tools like ChatGPT reached mass adoption in record time, and reset the course of an entire industry.
What’s next for AI in 2024
Our writers look at the four hot trends to watch out for this year
Get the latest updates from
MIT Technology Review
Discover special offers, top stories, upcoming events, and more.