- EmTech: Google’s Internet “Loon” Balloons Will Ring the Globe within a Year
Google X research lab boss Astro Teller says experimental wireless balloons will test delivering Internet access throughout the Southern Hemisphere by next year.
- Robots That Learn Through Repetition, Not Programming
A startup says getting a robot to do things should be less about writing code and more like animal training.
- EmTech: Box CEO Offers Advice for Microsoft
Microsoft must understand that companies want to buy software from more than one provider, the upstart competitor argues.
- Paralyzed Rats Take 1,000 Steps, Orchestrated by Computer
Controlled by software, paralyzed rats walk and climb stairs.
- EmTech: Illumina Says 228,000 Human Genomes Will Be Sequenced This Year
Record number of genomes being decoded, but cost of DNA sequencing might not fall much further, says Illumina president.
- A Failure to Treat Workers with Respect Could Be Uber’s Achilles’ Heel
Disruptive technology platforms are only as good as the human resources they leverage.
- This Phone App Knows If You’re Depressed
Motion, audio, and location data harvested from a smartphone can be analyzed to accurately predict stress or depression. <
This startup wants to copy you into an embryo for organ harvesting
With plans to create realistic synthetic embryos, grown in jars, Renewal Bio is on a journey to the horizon of science and ethics.
VR is as good as psychedelics at helping people reach transcendence
On key metrics, a VR experience elicited a response indistinguishable from subjects who took medium doses of LSD or magic mushrooms.
This nanoparticle could be the key to a universal covid vaccine
Ending the covid pandemic might well require a vaccine that protects against any new strains. Researchers may have found a strategy that will work.
This artist is dominating AI-generated art. And he’s not happy about it.
Greg Rutkowski is a more popular prompt than Picasso.
Get the latest updates from
MIT Technology Review
Discover special offers, top stories, upcoming events, and more.