- 50 Smartest Companies 2014
These businesses are setting the pace of innovation. They’re shaking up markets or creating new ones.
- Why Illumina Is No. 1
After outflanking and outlasting competitors, it is on top of the genome-sequencing business—just as that market is about to soar in importance.
- A Battery with Liquid Electrodes Can Be Recharged or Refilled
ARPA-E is funding several projects that use liquid battery electrodes to cut costs and increase energy density.
- Glass, Darkly
For its wearable computer to be accepted, Google must convince people that the device isn’t creepy.
- Bitcoin Lacks the Properties of a Real Currency
The digital cash lacks most of the features economists value in a currency, says David Yermack.
- For Mice, and Maybe Men, Pain Is Gone in a Flash
Researchers find a way to turn pain on, and off, with a beam of light.
- Gene Test Helps Patients Avoid Thyroid Surgery
A molecular diagnosis gives doctors and patients better treatment options when suspicious lumps are found in the neck. <