- Can Oculus Rift Turn Virtual Wonder into Commercial Reality?
Oculus Rift has heavyweight developer support and millions of dollars of crowdsourced investment. But many of the old challenges to this new technology remain.
- NSA’s Own Hardware Backdoors May Still Be a “Problem from Hell”
Revelations that the NSA has compromised hardware for surveillance highlights the vulnerability of computer systems to such attacks.
- Cleaner Long-Haul Engines Guzzle Diesel or Natural Gas
Companies are developing powerful engines that can run on natural gas together with diesel.
- Twitter Datastream Used to Predict Flu Outbreaks
The rate at which people post flu-related tweets could become a powerful tool in the battle to spot epidemics earlier, say computer scientists.
- Ditching the Transmission Allowed Honda’s Accord Hybrid to Hit 50 MPG
Honda’s Hybrid Accord uses electric motors in lieu of all but one gear.
- Free Software Ties the Internet of Things Together
OpenRemote is an open-source Internet of Things platform that could help spur smarter homes and cities.
- Data Discrimination Means the Poor May Experience a Different Internet
A Microsoft researcher proposes “big data due process” so citizens can learn how data analytics were used against them. <
DeepMind’s cofounder: Generative AI is just a phase. What’s next is interactive AI.
“This is a profound moment in the history of technology,” says Mustafa Suleyman.
What to know about this autumn’s covid vaccines
New variants will pose a challenge, but early signs suggest the shots will still boost antibody responses.
Human-plus-AI solutions mitigate security threats
With the right human oversight, emerging technologies like artificial intelligence can help keep business and customer data secure
Next slide, please: A brief history of the corporate presentation
From million-dollar slide shows to Steve Jobs’s introduction of the iPhone, a bit of show business never hurt plain old business.
Get the latest updates from
MIT Technology Review
Discover special offers, top stories, upcoming events, and more.