- Startup Shows Off Its Cheaper Grid Battery
Sun Catalytix is making a new type of flow battery that could store hours’ worth of energy on the grid.
- Bruce Schneier: NSA Spying Is Making Us Less Safe
The security researcher Bruce Schneier, who is now helping the Guardian newspaper review Snowden documents, suggests that more revelations are on the way.
- How Google Converted Language Translation Into a Problem of Vector Space Mathematics
To translate one language into another, find the linear transformation that maps one to the other. Simple, say a team of Google engineers.
- World’s Largest Solar Thermal Power Plant Delivers Power for the First Time
The $2.2 billion Ivanpah solar power plant can now generate electricity. But was it worth the money?
- The First Carbon Nanotube Computer
A carbon nanotube computer processor is comparable to a chip from the early 1970s and may be the first step beyond silicon electronics.
- Facebook Launches Advanced AI Effort to Find Meaning in Your Posts
A technique called deep learning could help Facebook understand its users and their data better.
- In Search of the Next Boom, Developers Cram Their Apps into Smart Watches
Clever apps might persuade people that they need a wrist-worn computer. <